cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n <antonio.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom extensions - to be made available if possible
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 05:47:27 GMT
> > As I said in a previous e-mail (Sep 10), we downloaded PDF box
> > (www.pdfbox.org), but it seems to us a bit hard to use.
>
> This project uses the BSD license. I think this can be a good candidate
> for integration with Cocoon. Because of the BSD license, We can be able to
> include the code and distribute the library as part of the cocon releases.

Understood. For now, we continue on this line, at least today.

> > It seems to have a viewer, and so it seems to draw on a Graphics. This
> > could be used combined with Batik to generate SVG... but that seems a
> > bit overkill.

I still believe that this sort of SVG generation is overkill. Does
anyone agree that a PDF operation processor that spits SVG may be
simpler to achieve? Most importantly, I reckon this approach allows us
to generate simple SVG without bells and whistles (e.g. only
positioned text on a correctly sized page), and improve it with time.

> > We also found Etymon PJX (www.etymon.com/epub.html), but it's like the
> > hard part of pdfbox, but without the easier part concerning the
> > Graphics.
>
> This one is GPL. The integration with Cocoon will be more dificult. Same
> case as Hibernate.

OK. Difficult to use + Difficult license integration = Discarded.

> OF course this is just from the license POV. I have not experience with
> neither of them.

Sorry, but... What POV? A google search por POV or POV PDF leaded to
"povray" and many "point of view".

Thank you very much.

Antonio Fiol