cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nikolaus Rath <Nikol...@rath.org>
Subject Re: How to Implement a Javaflow Application properly
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:20:58 GMT
Stephan Michels <stephan@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> I suspect that Cocoon uses some sort of Serialization to implement
>> Continuations and that the size and amount of referenced objects
>> directly influences performance.
>
> The JavaFlow stores the Continuable objects in the session, so that
> the field have the scope of the session. On the other side the
> local variables are stored into the continuation, managed by the
> ContinuationManager.

Still a bit complicated for me. I will have to dig into Continuable
objects a bit more I think.

>>  * How do continuations work in general and what should I consider
>>    when using them?
>
> The continuation stores the execution state of a function/method
> invocation. Nothing more or less.

I just looked at Continuation.java and ContinuationStack.java but I'm
unable to figure out how this is done within java. Maybe you can give
me a short outline so I now where to start?

>>  * Is it sensible to use an external database instead of keeping the
>>    data in-memory?
>
> How do you do it in your normal webapp?

My normal app is not a webapp. It runs standalone with Swing and works
fine with in-memory data. Now I'm nervous that the complete data has
to be serialized and copied whenever the application is interruped and
resumed by a continuation if I keep the in-memory model for the webapp
port.

   --Nikolaus

--
$|++;@_=map{chr(ord($_)-$|)}split//,"Kvtu!bopuifs!Qfsm!Ibdlfs-";$\="\r";@a=qw(
< ^ > v);$§="_"x25;until($§!~m~_~){$o=int(rand 28)+65;next if$s{$o}++;$o==91?