cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject RE: FIXME in IncludeTransformer [Was: Re: Adding Files to Subversion]
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:43:08 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> I was thinking about one thing... The one thing that troubles
> us is the
> "request". That introduce a degree of variability that (i
> don't know to
> what degree), might be counter-productive to analyze and cache...
>
> What about if we were doing "subrequest"s, much like in Apache... I
> mean, why making the "included" request inherit all the
> varible stuff?
> Wouldn't it be simply easier to create a new request/response
> and start
> from a clean status.
>
> Then we could re-create the request by something like:
>
> <incl:include src="proto://whatever">
>    <incl:param name="parameterName">value</incl:param>
> </incl:include>

There's the "raw" protocol which does this.

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Protocols

I like it, because it isolates those internal pipeline calls from the
full request environment - it means that the URI is a full specification
of their behaviour. I guess there might be cases where you want the full
request available to the internal pipeline though, and it may be "too
much hassle" to marshall all the necessary parameters to the internal
pipeline call, as you indicate above.