cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [GT 2004] Please add your PGP key to the wiki
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:37:06 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 1 oct. 04, à 14:10, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit :
>
>> ...Can you say in couple of words why one would want a PGP key, and
>> why one would want to sign them? I'm curious about all this because
>> all PGP keys are used for is the release signing, and for email there
>> is S/MIME standard supported by all mail agents.
>

> But for S/MIME you need a certificate, don't you? (trying not to be
> silly, dunno much about this really ;-)

Check my cert :-)
And add to your cert manager while at it.

> So, if we need PGP keys for release signing anyway, it might be a good
> idea to sign them so that we can use them for secure mail as well,

I'm a bit ignorant about PGP & email, why PGP if S/MIME is standard, and it is
built-in into all clients? This also means, that anybody can verify your S/MIME,
while all that PGP signature currently means to me (and most of other email
recipients) is some gibberish on top & bottom.

Many folks here have S/MIME cert already, and you can get yours too for free at
thawte.com. Question, is there anybody in our community who is thawte's notary?

Vadim