cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] www.nouvo.ch runs on Cocoon!
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:12:13 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 27 sept. 04, à 09:12, Andreas Hartmann a écrit :
>
>> ...Congratulations, it's a nice site and really fast!
>> Are you allowed to talk about the implementation?
>

> Thanks - sure I can talk, in fact I hope to be able to donate some
> components to Cocoon. 'll know more when the project is actually closed,
> which will take a few weeks: as you can see we had to cut a few corners
> to meet Saturdays deadline:
>
>   $ find . -type f | grep -v CVS | xargs grep TODO | wc -l
>    289
>

> The performance part comes mainly from the front-end apache2 mod_cache.
> Simply adding the right HTTP headers and making sure the content-length
> header is generated as well (by setting the buffering flag on the HTML
> serializer) allows the front -end cache to do its job very nicely.

uh, I might have missed that part!!! would be cool if you could document
that.

> This is what allows us to reach the 800 pages/second mark (tested from
> localhost, so theoretical, but still a nice figure) on this fairly fast
> Dell dual 3.6GHz server. It's got 2 GB of RAM and the JVM is configured
> to use 512MB, but runs nicely with much less on test servers.
>
> On a cache miss, Cocoon needs about 500msec to generate a page, not bad
> considering that there are several aggregations, at least two CInclude
> stages and maybe 10 (mostly simple) XSLT transforms on the way.

What pipeline flavor are you using? what XSLT transformer?

> Currently we have put a fairly low caching lifetime on pages (30 seconds
> only) as it was more convenient for initial testing, but we can easily
> raise it without stopping the system, should the need arise.
>
> The database is a plain MySQL, out of the box, and on that side the OJB
> object cache handles the typical "write seldom, read often" usage
> pattern very nicely.
>
>> The only thing I don't like on the first glance is the URI scheme :)
>

> Why? You don't like it flat?

me neither, actually.

> Document names like 50-2 deserve an explanation though: the TV show is
> organized by show number, so 50-2 means "the second subject of show 50".

yes, got that, but I would have liked 50/2 better, it would have allowed
me to ask for 50 and maybe get a summary of the episode.

> Having short names is also a plus when you need to put URLs on TV, as in
> that case the show is very short (about 8 minutes) and its main goal is
> to bring people on the website, so they put the URLs on screen during
> the show.

having / instead of - wouldn't have increased your URL size ;-)

--
Stefano, the URI PITA ;-)