cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Widget states: let's do it (was Re: CForms making widgets invisible)
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:21:59 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Claudius Spellmann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've created a patch to set a visibilitystatus for widgets. This
>> means that all widgets can be set visible or invisible on a form when
>> a form is created or using flowscript.
>

> This has already been discussed here: we need widget states. However,
> state isn't limited to visible/invisible. We also need states like
> active/inactive.
>
> AFAIR, the list of states we came up to was:
> - active : the current behaviour
> - disabled: the widget is displayed, but its value (or sub-widgets in
> the case of containers) isn't read from the request.
> - hidden: the widget isn't displayed, and of course it's value isn't
> read from the request.
>
> States should be inherited by child widgets, taking into account the
> following state priority:
>  active < disabled < hidden.
>
> That means that if a repeater is hidden, its children will be hidden
> also even if their own state is active or disabled.
>
> We also need to be able to set an intial state in the form definition
> (default being "active"). I propose a common "state" attribute for
> this, available on all widget types, e.g.
> <fd:repeater id="foo" state="hidden">
> </fd:repeater>
>
> We've discussed this many times and it appears it is a real need now,
> so let's do it right now.
>
> Are we ok with this definition?

How does this relate to validation? The reason I ask is that this feels
very close to support for wizards (unless I'm just being stupid).

If we can 'group' a few widgets together, and enable or disable them, we
could then show part (a) of the form, then part (b), etc. Now, if a
field in this contect is 'disabled', a value will not be read from the
request, and no validation would be done on its value.

Thoughts? Am I off beam?

Regards, Upayavira