cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [lazy poll] Commit cforms-based editor?
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:26:03 GMT
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 19:55, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
>

>>Tim Larson <tim@nixnotes.org> writes:
>>

>>>This is a lazy poll to see if I should commit the
>>>cforms-based editor for sitemaps, xreports, cforms, and any
>>>other xml files.
>>>
>>>It is nowhere near production-ready, has a security hole in
>>>it (so don't put it on an exposed server yet), has
>>>copy-and-paste bugs all through it, and it does not enforce
>>>the various schemas very well yet because it is still under
>>>heavy development... However, several people have expressed
>>>interest in seeing the code and possibly even helping with
>>>the implementation :)
>>>
>>>So to summarize, I am willing to swallow my pride and commit
>>>this "ugly duckling" code if it is ok to create a temporary
>>>branch for it in svn so we can more easily work together to
>>>finish the implementation.  MrTompkins has graciously offered
>>>the codename "swan" to use for the branch name, which I think
>>>is rather fitting considering the transformation I expect it
>>>to undergo once we get more people working on it ;)
>>>

>>I'm not sure why you need a SVN branch as opposed to just adding a new
>>block?
>>

>Maybe the "new feature" is not isolated enough e.g. it will affect the
>cforms block. I dunno exactly, but that is how I understood it.

If it affects the cforms block because of the need for new features,
then that is a good thing, as Tim's use case is a very advanced one that
could be beneficial to all CForms users.

And placing the particular use of these features (sitemap editor, etc)
in a separate block allows to isolate them from the main CForms core,
which is a good thing also, unless they could be simply considered as
advanced samples and thus placed in forms/samples.

Finally, unless this required a major rewrite of CForm, I don't see the
need for a separate branch.

So go on and commit, Tim!

Sylvain