cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Custom extensions - to be made available if possible
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:01:28 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:

> Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n wrote:
>

>>a) Refactoring SimpleLuceneXMLIndexerImpl so that its private method
>>indexDocument is not private, and taking it to an external component.
>>
>>b) Creating a PDFGenerator (in the cocoon sense of generator,
>>of course).
>>
>>Option (a) seems to be giving us more headaches than pleasure, and
>>option (b) seems cleaner to a certain point. Option (b) would allow to
>>follow links in the PDF file, if developed to that point.
>

> I like option (b) too. You could start with plain text, but it could later be developed
to extract basic formatting, hyperlinks, bookmarks (the table of contents), images, etc.

>>However, option (b) implies choosing a format for its output (which?),
>

> An interesting question. Perhaps html, and begin with an implementation which produces:

>    <head/>
>       blah blah blah<br/>
>       blah blah<br/>
>
> Later you (or someone else) could add extra things as they need them.
>
> Alternatively, you could use a more PDF-oriented DTD.

What about using XSL:FO? Would be pretty cool to have the ability to
transform PDF into FO, basically reversing what FOP does. I know it
would be pretty painful to make it work with all kinds of PDF, but for
reasonable ones it shouldn't be that hard (PDF is sort of a markup
language already).

--
Stefano.