cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: EHCache in its own block?
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:06:54 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 2 Sep 2004, at 08:19, Ugo Cei wrote:
>
>> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>

>>> I think it might have been because in the code comments of the
>>> EHStore there's a mention that the store is not persistent across
>>> JVM restarts, but now it seems they "fixed" it...
>>> http://ehcache.sourceforge.net/documentation/#mozTocId581616
>>

>> But see also:
>>
>> "Note: This documentation is being updated for the forthcoming
>> release of Version 1.0 of ehcache. The current release, version 0.9,
>> contains most of the features documented here, with the main
>> exception being persistence DiskStores."
>>
>> Assuming I interpret this correctly, we could have EHCache as the
>> default cache as soon as it reaches 1.0.
>

> I agree... I'd say to separate it out of the ScratchPad so that it's
> easier to test (maybe in 2.1.6), and then when they hit 1.0, we can
> swap it with JCS.
>
> All agree???

Why?

We have an unreleased JCS, so I don't see the problem with an unreleased
EHCache. And, as JCS doesn't persit disc stores, the fact that EHCache
can't yet isn't a problem either. To my mind, it is just a question of
which performs best, and impression is that EHCache works better.

So, if one of the major problems with 2.1.5 is poor cache performance
under load with JCS as default, and EHCache works under that load, I'd
say switch to EHCache for 2.1.6.

Upayavira