cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: Widget states: let's do it (was Re: CForms making widgets invisible)
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:59:53 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko <vadim@reverycodes.com> writes:

> Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
>
> > Vadim Gritsenko <vadim@reverycodes.com> writes:
> >
> >>Phones, credit card numbers, SSN, EIN, ITIN, etc, all can
> be valid in
> >>parts but not valid as a whole.
> >

> > For most of these cases you should probably use a single field for
> > data entry.
>
> You'd do one way, and other guy would do another way,
> especially if he
> has UI designer in-house.

If it's a single UI designer, maybe, with 3 UI designers in house I
don't expect we'll ever reach agreement on exactly how things should be
done, but point taken.

> > To me, an error message saying "Invalid area code: '9o1'" is more
> > meaningful than an error message saying "Invalid phone number:
> > '9o1-555-5555'".
>
> Nobody and nothing discussed in this thread stops you from
> doing just that.

Fair enough, but you still haven't given me any reason why you need to
do validation on the aggregate field vs. the individual component
fields...