cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: cocoon.sh: request
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:36:54 GMT
On 01 Sep 2004, at 23:19, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Mark Lundquist wrote:
>
>> Dear devs,
>>
>> I like to use cocoon.sh "as is", configuring it from without by means
>> of a wrapper script.  Using cocoon.sh without modification makes it
>> easier to take Cocoon version upgrades.
>>
>> There is one thing, though, that I still have to change.  I use the
>> DJB "daemontools" package to run all my Jetty+Cocoon instances under
>> supervision and provide for automatic startup at boot-time.   This
>> only works if I change cocoon.sh to exec the Java interpreter without
>> forking.
>

> What do you mean by "without forking" ? The shell has to lauch the JVM
> in a separate process. Or do I miss something?

I'm using http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/ - which has a native part
doing the daemonizing of the VM. I had a look at commons-daemon and
DJB's daemontools as well, but finally sticked with wrapper - it worked
as promised and didn't require any exotic thinking so common to DJB's
tools. All three of them require you somehow to "unfold" what is
transcribed/constructed in the cocoon.sh shell script into a one-line
JVM invocation. Doing an "echo" at the end will help you to find out
classpath, class to be invoked, etc etc...

Since this is all system-dependent, I wonder if we could offer init-v
like shell scripts with Cocoon. Most of those which came with other
Java apps didn't work as expected on my system (like forking into
another user).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org