cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [RT] Concerns surrounding CocoonNG
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:32:51 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
 >I'm sure Merlin/Metro has a place
> somewhere, maybe inside the "blocks", maybe somewhere else, but
> considering switching to it at this point in time is simply reckless.

Using a container has two advantages: using code that is already there
and tested, and hooking up with a commmon base so to collaborate with
other services.

For the first point, our needs are not so easy, so we would have the
same problem we had with Avalon: create our new ECM derived from the
simpler core. Furthermore it's not so much tested in the real world and
still evolving.

For the second point, it's not relevant, as Cocoon as a _whole_ should
be embeddable in such a container, like for example in Geronimo as a
GBean, in JBoss, in Merlin, etc.

I agree with Leo, we don't need to buy a motor for our nice car, we need
to make our own and tune it at need.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -