cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Hibernate question
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:53:26 GMT
On 11 Aug 2004, at 10:34, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> IAANAL, I think that Hibernate may be violating the LGPL by assigning
> their
> interpretation. LGPLing your product implies certain things, and the
> FSF have
> been very elaborate in their wording (so that you and I don't really
> understand it) to make sure that, individual projects don't assign
> their own
> interpretation

> What could happen is a chain of legal nightmare, where someone brings
> Hibernate, Spring and Cocoon into court because CommercialA is using
> Cocoon
> and being sued by its competitor CommercialB.
> Even if Hibernate, Spring and Cocoon are not directly affected by such
> a case,
> it would damage ASF permanently, as the foundation is no longer
> considered
> 'clean'.

I'm not a fan of Doom scenarios, but given the fact that JBoss, Inc.
owns Hibernate to quite some extent, and that they are known for
carefully watching our steps, I wouldn't want to give a legal/PR poison
pill to them by including any Hibernate/LGPL code or reference in an
ASF codebase, regardless of what the Hibernate folks state themselves.

So yes, we must remove Hibernate-related code from what we redistribute
from Spring.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org