cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Concerns surrounding CocoonNG
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:29:09 GMT
Il giorno 10/ago/04, alle 16:05, Niclas Hedhman ha scritto:

> 1. Is compatibility no longer an issue, and that a Cocoon 3 will
> emerge from a
> clean slate? Or is a 'gradual' evolution from ECM to something new
> still the
> preferred approach?

It depends on who you ask. Personally, I tend to prefer a rewrite over
a refactoring in many situations. I am aware that this is not always
the best course, but it's my personality and I cannot do anything about
it.

However, this has nothing to do with backward compatibility. You can do
a rewrite from scratch and still maintain 100% compatibility with old
interfaces, possibly via an emulation layer.

> 2. Is the Spring/Pico/Kernel camps considering classloading mentioned
> above
> being a non-issue, and delegating the task to Cocoon itself to deal
> with it?

Frankly, I haven't even started considering the issue. I am not
equipped with enough knowledge about class loaders and such to proffer
an informed opinion.

> 3. Is there interest in this community of a 'proof-of-concept',
> showcasing the
> powers of Merlin, such as classloading, Jar management (Maven style),
> custom
> contexts, strong typing, automatic dependency resolution and other
> features
> that Cocoon would benefit from?

Of course, there is, and I don't think I'm mistaken if I try to
interpret the interest of the whole community here.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/