cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject RE: why JXTG sucks? was: FreeMarker integration
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:34:37 GMT

Where should you draw the line between model and view?

In the case of JXTG, it is really only convenient if the view (JXT) can access the full structure
of the model programmatically. If the model includes structured text, then the model would
have to expose that structure programmatically.

For example, I think you have properties (such as your project/description) which contain
structured text (in Wiki markup) but are actually just defined as Strings. IMHO the wiki syntax
is not an appropriate model for JXT because it is not a _Java_ model but a textual (markup)
model.

To present Wiki text in Cocoon, you would normally convert it to XML and then style it as
HTML, FO, etc. The first step is parsing (convert to XML infoset, whether a DOM or SAX stream),
the second step is presentation. I think the first step should be in the model, the second
in the view.

Why should your "project/description" property type be "Wiki-text" rather than "DOM"? A DOM
is no more "presentational" than the Wiki-text is it? It's just a way of representing the
logical structure of the document.

Just my 2c

Con