cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/acting HttpCacheAction.java
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:04:05 GMT
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 19:23:35 +0100, Pier Fumagalli <pier@betaversion.org> wrote:
> >>   Log:
> >>   Added simple action generating HTTP caching headers to be used in
> >> conjunction with mod_proxy
> >
> > You really don't like the pipeline's expires configuration, don't you?
> > :)
>
> I finally got around replying to this...
>
> No, I don't like both of them (the action AND the pipeline)...
>
> As you know our sitemap is _HUGE_, and every single group of request
> has a different TTL. Now, if I were to use different pipelines
> configured differently, I'd have to duplicate my error handlers at
> least 6/7 times... Not very handy...

Yeah, never thought of that but I do see your point (hmm... what if
you do map:mount? do you inherit the error handler?). Still...

> What this action does, in my very humble opinion, should be implemented
> by the different serializers, maybe in the Abstract one?

With the current architecture it isn't really a serializer concern to
deal with the current environment, so I'm not quite sure this could be
a viable solution.

Also, I don't know if the configuration wouldn't be even clumsier.
Keep in mind that you would have to deal with readers as well, and
that you should instruct your staff to understand that
"<map:serializer type="html-3600-ttl"/>" is a different beast from
<map:serializer type="html-nocache"/>. Do you think they'd get it?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino