cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hibernate question
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:04:00 GMT
Il giorno 10/ago/04, alle 04:14, Vadim Gritsenko ha scritto:

>> even if not - it contains code that was compiled against hibernate
>> interfaces. Wouldn't this be an issue?
>
> It would not be an issue as long as classes compiled against Hibernate
> are not included into Spring JAR which is (in this imaginary
> situation) used by Cocoon.
>
> Anything else becomes grey area, and as such, most probably should be
> avoided all together.

Spring's ORM support is distributed as a separate jar (spring-orm.jar)
and is not needed to use the rest of spring (core, mvc, AOP, etc.).
This should cover our asses in case we bundle Spring with Cocoon.

OTOH, If you are using Hibernate you are agreeing to the terms of the
LGPL anyway, but if you want to use, say, OJB, which is supported in
Spring 1.1, you'd have to include spring-orm.jar in your application
and that includes also code compiled against Hibernate's interfaces.
Would that force you to distribute your code under the (L)GPL? I don't
know, but in any case you could always strip all Hibernate-dependent
classes from the jar and keep only the OJB-dependent ones.

Anyway, IANAL but this is getting painful :(

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/