cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hibernate question
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:18:37 GMT

On Aug 11, 2004, at 10:53 AM, Steven Noels wrote:
> So yes, we must remove Hibernate-related code from what we
> redistribute from Spring.

I'm not even sure this is enough. It is from a purely legal POV, but it
might be confusing for users: unless we clearly state that Apache
Cocoon is protected by the AL 2.0 if and only if you use the shipped
version of the Spring jars, not the official ones, there is a risk of
someone redistributing Cocoon with different/updated/custom
built/whatever Spring jars which could be viral.

OTOH, I find strange that this slipped away:

 > This is the readme file from spring lib directory:
[...]
 > * aopalliance/aopalliance.jar
 > - AOP Alliance 1.0 (http://aopalliance.sourceforge.net)

Couldn't find license. Public Domain?

... a bunch of J2EE files, and...

 > * jboss/jboss-common-jdbc-wrapper.jar
 > - JBoss connection pool classes (http://www.jboss.org)

*Dangerous* stuff. Definitely viral.

With all this in mind, I have an hard time defining Spring as a safe
bet licensing wise.

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino