cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Add pass-through capability to mounted pipelines
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:45:23 GMT
Just to add noise to the discussion...  ;-)  This passthrough (or
whatever it's ultimately called) could also be used to make Cocoon
installation and first setup easier.

For example, let's say you have your Cocoon installation ready to go on
the filesystem.  After configuring the servlet container, the next step
is usually to edit the main sitemap.  This can be daunting for new
users (it was for me the first few times) as the default sitemap is not
exactly a five-liner.

But what if you split it off a la Forrest?  In the main sitemap, you
have all of the basic configurations and component definitions
(including or excluding based on the block inclusion or exclusion in
many cases as is the case now with compilation), all of the samples,
tutorials, documentation, etc.  However, you also have a "pass-through"
sitemap mount that matches everything going to mysite.xmap (or
whatever) with a bare, minimal sitemap.  It would be this minimal
sitemap that folks would start out with and add their matchers to and
get familiar with the system.

Adding this baby step keeps folks from getting turned away from excess
complexity (or at least hiding it for a while), allows them to learn
the basic skills, and when the time comes that they need to edit the
main sitemap.xmap, they will already have a firm grounding in the basic
building blocks of how Cocoon works.  It also provides a means for
people to have their own sitemap without having to make large edits
when a new Cocoon build is made.  The pipes vs. pipelines change comes
to mind where I simply tried to copy my customized sitemap onto a new
build, and (surprise) it failed.  I ended up having to do a line by
line comparison of the default and customized sitemaps to find the
problem.  Similar problems have cropped up as components have been
added/removed/renamed over the years.

If, on the other hand, my customizations were in its own file where I
could know/assume that the base sitemap was correct (because I copied
it directly from a build), debugging problems becomes a lot easier.

Currently I have such a setup where the main, default sitemap is kept
pretty much intact while my changes are simply mounted in a single
line.  The pass-through proposal makes it possible to do this in the
general case however.

WDYT?

- Miles Elam