cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [request] creation of the Tani branch
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:38:33 GMT
I've been away from the real cocoon development for a while, but my day
job requires me to build a prototype using cocoon but with real blocks
implemented.

Therefore, I need to get real blocks working on cocoon.

The closest thing that we have in place for that is Pier's kernel (that
was development with my vocal/written help, but no code). I don't like
the idea of basing our framework on somebody elses, mainly for community
reasons, so I will start from there.

As a committer, and upon the rules of revolutionaries, I hereby request
the creation of the "tani" effort, which is the codename for what I hope
it will become "Cocoon 2.2", even if this will have to be decided by the
community once we feel confident enough.

One of my goals for such a new framework is transparent migration:
therefore 2.2 and not 3.0. Also we'll try to keep as much as the
existing code as possible, to avoid rewrite, therefore introducing new
bugs and stuff.

This means that the "new-kernel" branch will be renamed "tani" and we'll
take it from there.

This should *not* be seen as a competition with the Butterfly branch,
but rather an alternative path to lead to the same goal: simplification
and better webapp-level componentization.

I don't need a vote to make this happen, but I'm asking for comments.

--
Stefano.