cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/acting HttpCacheAction.java
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:30:48 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 30 Jun 2004, at 17:46, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>

>> On Jun 30, 2004, at 6:38 PM, pier@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> pier        2004/06/30 09:38:41
>>>
>>>   Added:       src/java/org/apache/cocoon/acting HttpCacheAction.java
>>>   Log:
>>>   Added simple action generating HTTP caching headers to be used in
>>> conjunction with mod_proxy
>>

>> You really don't like the pipeline's expires configuration, don't you? :)
>

> I finally got around replying to this...
>
> No, I don't like both of them (the action AND the pipeline)...
>
> As you know our sitemap is _HUGE_, and every single group of request has
> a different TTL. Now, if I were to use different pipelines configured
> differently, I'd have to duplicate my error handlers at least 6/7
> times... Not very handy...
>
> On the other hand, having this as an "action" doesn't really make sense
> (oh, well, I don't like actions, let's not get started).
>
> What this action does, in my very humble opinion, should be implemented
> by the different serializers, maybe in the Abstract one?

Currently, Cocoon cached response (CachedResponse.java) does not store
headers. If you move this functionality into serializers, then on the
second request to the same resource, when resource is not modified and
served from the cache, response won't have any headers at all - because
serializer was not invoked.

Actions (and pipelines), OTOH, are invoked each time, on each request,
so they work Ok now.

Vadim