cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Concerns surrounding CocoonNG
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:14:49 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 August 2004 14:47, Guido Casper wrote:
>

>>On the surface it may be not that different from a dependency management
>>POV but the first is easier to unit test ...
>

> And for the record, this whole thread is not an argument for and against
> different IoC styles. That is very academic, and something we at the Merlin
> camp fire, are moving away from.
>
> I am just trying to highlight, that I don't think Spring and Pico are capable
> in their 'native' form to handle the hot-deploy and re-deployment of Cocoon
> blocks. And that is practical concern today for any effort of moving Cocoon
> away from ECM.
>
> We (at Merlin) think that the fastest way forward, possibly with a huge degree
> of compatibility remained, is to base Cocoon on Merlin. But I also
> acknowledge the inert resistence against anything foreign, especially since
> the ECM choice has turned very inhibiting. Otoh, I don't think an in-house
> development at that time (or now) would have been so much more different, and
> the same problems would exist.

Niclas,

there will be no technical argument that will outweight the danger of
depending on grounds that we cannot influence in a collaborative fashion
and my perception is that even if things are moving, the Merlin
community has still to prove itself in that regard.

I am supportive of the innovation that Merlin is proposing technically,
but I sense strong idea ownership by some of the players and this is,
historically, a reason to stay away from a technology, no matter how
powerful and useful.

So, fix the community issues and then we talk.

Not the other way around.

--
Stefano.