cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: why JXTG sucks? was: FreeMarker integration
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:40:09 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Why JXTG sucks? Because it's to powerful!
>
> http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~parrt/papers/mvc.templates.pdf
> (It's not the first time that it is posted here.)
>
> rules:
> view cannot modify the model
> view cannot perform computations upon dependent data values
> view cannot compare dependent data values
> view cannot make data type assumptions
> data from the model must not contain display or layout information
assume you have a collection of Projects. Each project has a
project.description property. This property contains a string that can
be parsed by a wiki parser and generate html out of it. How would you
implement that. Assume that your controller does NOT know what string
properties should be wikified as there are hundreds of this kind of
properties and you also have several orthogonal views which query
different model parts.

if the view cannot perform computations you cannot put it into view
layer as some kind of macro

if the data cannot contain display or layout information you shouldn't
preformat all your project.description properties. Also it is plainly
stupid to provide the view with two versions or each property: raw and
formatter as the third formatter might come to action. what then ?

> FreeMaker is also mentioned in the document - as example for highest
> entanglement index.
>
> Jörg

I'll read the document and have more comments tomorrow.