cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject FreeMarker integration
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:45:14 GMT
Is anybody interested in FreeMarker integration with cocoon? There is no
single word (Oh there are some freemarker occurences but they do not
stick to the subject) about FreeMarker on the cocoon-dev list. It is BSD
style licensed so there is no problem with shipping it with cocoon I think.

To say the truth: there is NO good templating language to use with cocoon:
1) XSP is just a step ahead from JSP 1.2 and step back from JSP 2.0
(this is just a quick comment - I maybe wrong, anyway: XSP sucks)
2) Velocity is out of question right now - there is even no xml/html
escape utility so a newbie ends up with having a template that could
generate an invalid sax event stream.
3) JX Template generator is fine for simple cases but it lacks a lot of
functionality i.e.:
    - control statements are very limited
    - you cannot plug in external tag implementations - jx:macro is good
      only for simple processing, you can do it only via a ugly "session
      hack" (${cocoon.session.wikifyFunction( "--string--",
               cocoon.consumer}), so it's very close to any extensions
    - you cannot set attribues via something similar to xsl:attribute as
      it is quite hard to implement (and might be inefficient)

I would never be able to leave cocoon:
- I cannot imaging my life without flowscript
- cforms is the best implementation for form handling there is. period.

but the view generation is what really bugs me..

If someone is interested I might try to implement freemarker integration
as the comparison to velocity looks promising:
http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/fmVsVel.html

WDYT?