cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Repository status....
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:19:42 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> Ugo Cei dijo:

>>> I was online, and closed one bug (#30321), but keep in mind that, at
>>> least in Europe, many people are on vacation in August and things are
>>> not going to get any better next friday. I was able to contribute some
>>> of my time, since I was on vacation but at home.
>>>

>> Thanks for the info. A question:
>>
>> The main trunk is for the 2.2. This is the version with the new kernel
>> based on Excalibur Fortress?
>>
>> Sorry, but I have a mess in my head about the new kernel.
>

> Carsten will upgrade 2.2 (trunk) to Fortress. In parallel Pier and Ugo
> work on their proposals about a new fundament of Cocoon. We will move
> both work into the whiteboard. Some time in the future we have to
> agree on one of the three ways (Fortress, kernel or spring) but now
> its time to learn what each alternative can do for us.

A distinction should be made between the two levels of containers:
1/ a container for blocks (requiring hot deploy and wiring)
2/ a container for components within a block.

The new kernel is in category 1 as could be Geronimo's GBeans (based on
JMX) Merlin or OSGi (used in Eclipse 3.0)

Fortress and Spring are in category 2. I just started an in-depth
reading of Spring docs (starting with [1]) and must say I'm now almost
sold to it. While reading, some random thoughts pop up giving me the
feeling that writing an Avalon Framework compatibility layer should be
feasible.

Sylvain

[1] http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=SpringFramework