cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Counter-based continuation IDs (was Re: Load-testing flowscript webapps)
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:57:32 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> As Gianugo says, there's a long way to go before being clusterizable
>> (could be easier with javaflow than with JS flow though). But we can
>> start the journey ;-)
>

> What do you consider as the main blockers?

Well, as Gianugo said, serialization is the key here. And AFAICS, a
Rhino continuation is linked to the compiled script it continues, and
thus serializing a continuation is likely to pull out a large object graph.

Javaflow on the other hand will ontly serialize the stack frames and the
objects involved in these frames, but not the bytecode of their classes!

But the most difficult point will be objects pointed to by the stack
frames (function parameters and local variables) for which we do not
have the equivalent of "transient" for class attributes. So either we
must be very carefull about nulling them before a continuation is
created, or implement in javaflow the equivalent to "catch(break)" and
"catch(return)" that exists in rhino+cont.

Maybe this can be implemented using special exceptions such as
ProgramHalted and ProgramRestored? Torsten, Stefan?

Sylvain