cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Load-testing flowscript webapps
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:21:39 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> I want to do some automated load testing on a flowscript/cform
>> application involving a sequence of pages. The problem is that the
>> continuation IDs must be extracted from a page to be re-injected in
>> the next request.
>>
>> Have some of you already tackled this problem?
>

> I hear that testing tools [1] not necessarily have to record a test
> script as series of URLs to playback, but have an ability to declare
> links you want to follow or buttons to click based on the text of the
> link or value of the button.
>
> I think that generally this is the appropriate way to do it.

> If you do not want to follow this route, you can (relatively) easily
> pass continuation ID as a request parameter, as a session attribute,
> or as a cookie.

Having the test runner simulating clicks on the page or transmitting
form parameters are certainly the cleanest solution, but it requires a
manual intervention on the test scenario (i.e. we have to "code" the
scenario), wehereas being able to replay a recorded session allows to
quickly set up test scenarios without requiring manual modification on
the test script.

That's what this proposal allows, and I guess both have their usefulness.

Anyway, thanks for the hints!

Sylvain