cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Load-testing flowscript webapps
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:06:51 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to do some automated load testing on a flowscript/cform
> application involving a sequence of pages. The problem is that the
> continuation IDs must be extracted from a page to be re-injected in
> the next request.
>
> Have some of you already tackled this problem?

> JMeter seems to have some obscure features related to form value
> extraction [1] that maybe could do the job (haven't tested it), but I
> would like to have a more general solution that could work easily with
> any load-testing tool.
>
> My idea is to write a special implementation of ContinuationManager
> that would produce IDs based on a counter stored in a session (meaning
> each user has a different counter). That way, one can record a test
> scenario using JMeter in proxy mode, and replay it with no modifications.
>
> I also plan to write an action that sets the value of the ID counter
> so that a test scenario can force continuation numbering to an initial
> known value.
>
> The drawback of this implementation compared to the current one is
> that continuations become tied to the user session whereas in the
> current implementation they are theoretically not session-related.
> "theoretically" because in most cases there exists a global scope in
> the flowscript that links a continuation to the user's session.
>
> WDYT? Do you have other ideas?
>
> [1]
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTML_Link_Parser

I'm don't know all the load testing tools out there but wouldn't need
each tool some functionality that makes it possible to read out values
from a result page? If so, a "generic" solution isn't needed, is it. At
least IMHO. This shouldn't stop you from writing this special
ContinuationManager impl. ;-)

How-to set up JMeter is described here:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/LoadTestingFlowWithJMeter

--