cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Hibernate question
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:57:38 GMT
On Wednesday 11 August 2004 16:45, Ugo Cei wrote:
> Il giorno 11/ago/04, alle 10:34, Niclas Hedhman ha scritto:
> > Probability. One could wonder though, is Spring a trust-worthy liason,
> > legality-wise?
>
> Are you running any of your applications on Linux? is Linux a
> trust-worthy liason, legality-wise, in light of the SCO claims?

_I_ don't have any 'code dependency' on Linux, and IMHO the SCO issue is
different. Any developer can be sued by any other developer for patent and
copyright infringements.
This case is that hypothetically, if IBM builds a commercial product with
Hibernate in there somewhere, Microsoft can (AFAIU) sue IBM on behalf of the
Hibernate folks, even though no Microsoft code/copyright/patent is involved.
Absurd? Yes of course, but possible.

> If you want to be really paranoid, you can start developing everything
> in-house, but where do you stop?

The FSF agenda is to drive all development into OSS, by forcing the choice of
"economical OSS benefits" vs "costly in-house development". And IMO, they
seems to be doing a pretty good job at that.

Cheers
Niclas

--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /