cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Concerns surrounding CocoonNG
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:24:39 GMT
On Wednesday 11 August 2004 14:47, Guido Casper wrote:

> On the surface it may be not that different from a dependency management
> POV but the first is easier to unit test ...

And for the record, this whole thread is not an argument for and against
different IoC styles. That is very academic, and something we at the Merlin
camp fire, are moving away from.

I am just trying to highlight, that I don't think Spring and Pico are capable
in their 'native' form to handle the hot-deploy and re-deployment of Cocoon
blocks. And that is practical concern today for any effort of moving Cocoon
away from ECM.

We (at Merlin) think that the fastest way forward, possibly with a huge degree
of compatibility remained, is to base Cocoon on Merlin. But I also
acknowledge the inert resistence against anything foreign, especially since
the ECM choice has turned very inhibiting. Otoh, I don't think an in-house
development at that time (or now) would have been so much more different, and
the same problems would exist.

Cheers
Niclas
--