cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Hibernate question
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:39:12 GMT

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Leszek Gawron wrote:

> I am suprised of one fact: how can Spring be distributed with ASL 2.0

Note that at this time the stance of the ASF is that the LGPL should be
considered tainting when used with the 'import' of java code until such
point that the FSF publicly states that java 'import' is seen as 'linking'
in C currently is or some form of precedence.

But without that stay well clear of it.

Yes - this is a tradeoff. What we are really doing is protecting the
-existing- code base at the expense of a certain level of community
dynamics, features and functionaly. This is not a black or white choise
(esp. as most people personally blieve/guess that the FSF will eventually
admit/see it as linking) but a self imposed line in the ground.

In general you will always find some tension between the dev@ lists and
the members@/board@ lists; the first will want to go forward and consider
new things; the latter will do their utmost to be a good steward of
already existing code. Balance is good :-)

Note that this position may change over time; either due to the FSF
finally giving answers or due to events in the community.

Dw