cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Private Branches
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:03 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2004, at 23:50, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> fine, what about
>>
>>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/
>> (whiteboard|scratchpad|research)

We had already discussed (was it 1, 2 years ago) that personal
playgrounds are bad...

> Much better. But you are suggesting a branch for all these, no? I'm not
> so sure about that - branches tend to hide things away. Of course,
> branching is better|easier than scratchpad areas, so this might be the
> better solution.

If something is a branch, it should actually be a branch (ie copy from
the main code), so it can merge. If not it can still reside in branches,
as in subversion it's just a dir.

> For the record: I'm -1 on any labelling or classification system which
> includes the name|id|alias of a contributor.

Same here.

> Anything else which is
> workable, facilitates creativity, groups common work areas under a
> single name, and doesn't create code islands, I'm violently +1.

If someone wants to experiment on a branch, just say so and do it, and
label the branch with a significant name. When/if time to merge back
will occur, we will vote. Simple IMHO.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -