cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Butterfly Manifesto (was Re: [RT] Spring+JMX == Real Blocks?)
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:18:57 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Il giorno 12/lug/04, alle 18:23, Marc Portier ha scritto:
>
>> think so too, just needs more wild thinking and somebody doing :-)
>
> Since I'm getting more and more bored with my daytime job, I ended up
> doing something:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ButterflyManifesto
>
> Comments are welcome, flames > /dev/null.

This looks like an interesting "revolution" in Cocoon land :-)

If you want to do it, and it will be really interesting if you do, here
are some tips:

http://incubator.apache.org/learn/rules-for-revolutionaries.html

In particular, here are the relevant parts:

"
To allow this to happen, to allow revolutionaries to
   co-exist with evolutionaries, I'm proposing the following
   as official Jakarta policy:

     1) Any committer has the right to go start a
     revolution. They can establish a branch or seperate
     whiteboard directory in which to go experiment with new
     code seperate from the main trunk. The only
     responsibility a committer has when they do this is to
     inform the developer group what their intent is, to keep
     the group updated on their progress, and allowing others
     who want to help out to do so.  The committer, and the
     group of people who he/she has a attracted are free to
     take any approaches they want to free of interference.

     2) When a revolution is ready for prime time, the
     committer proposes a merge to the -dev list. At that
     time, the overall community evaluates whether or not the
     code is ready to become part of, or to potentially
     replace the, trunk. Suggestions may be made, changes may
     be required. Once all issues have been taken care of and
     the merge is approved, the new code becomes the trunk.

     3) A revolution branch is unversioned.  It doesn't have
     any official version standing. This allows several
     parallel tracks of development to occur with the final
     authority of what eventually ends up on the trunk laying
     with the entire community of committers.

     4) The trunk is the official versioned line of the
     project. All evolutionary minded people are welcome to
     work on it to improve it. Evolutionary work is important
     and should not stop as it is always unclear when any
     particular revolution will be ready for prime time or
     whether it will be officially accepted.
"

             - verba volant, scripta manent -