cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:11:15 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I want to start the implementation of the virtual sitemap components
> in the next weeks; but before, we should discuss how they will look like :)
>
> The first point - and imho most important point is, of which components
> a virtual sitemap component (VSC) can be assembled.
> My understand is that a VSC is either:
> - a generator followed by one or more transformers
> - a set of transformers
> - a set of transformers followed by a serializer
> Thus, the VSC acts like a generator, a transformer or a serializer.

Sorry for cross-posting, but this could maybe address a concern
Lenya is faced with.

The scenario is as follows:

Lenya provides so-called "CMS screens". This is a simple transformation
to create the Lenya look-and-feel forms, error messages etc.

It is done using a meta stylesheet approach triggered by

   <map:transform src="cocoon://lenya-screen.xsl"/>

The problem is that we would like to add a i18n step to this
transformation, which would be quite difficult (if not impossible)
to implement using a meta stylesheet. We don't use a resource
because we need to access the transformation from a lot of sitemaps.

My question is: Could VSCs be declared in the sitemap? For instance:

<map:components>

   <map:serializier name="lenya-screen" type="virtual">
     <map:transform type="xslt" src="cocoon://lenya-screen.xsl"/>
     <map:transform type="i18n"/>
     <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
   </map:serializer>

</map:components>

Is this a possible scenario for the VSC concept?
I think an important questions is how to pass parameters to a VSC and
how to distribute them to the single components.

Thanks,
-- Andreas