cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject [RT] Migrating to Fortress
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 07:16:07 GMT
I think its time to think again about migrating to Fortress for 2.2.

By migrating to Fortress I just mean using Fortress as an ECM replacement.
So without using meta-data etc. Fortress is able to use the ECM
configuration,
so from the user pov there shouldn't be a difference.

So, why migrating at all? Fortress has some benefits over ECM. I think
Berin mentioned an improved pooling code etc. We could use setter and
constructor injection if we want etc.
In addition, the development of Fortress will continue over at Excalibur,
so if something interesting will happen there we can benefit from it.

But my main point currently is the use of own lifecycle interfaces. It
seems that perhaps we will someday move away from the Avalon based world
(let's not discuss this here if we will or wont, please!). Even if that
will not happen, we will need additional core functionality that is
not available in Avalon (a different lookup etc.).
With Fortress we can add our own marker interface into the component
lifecycle and for example introduce a (very silly example!)
CocoonLogEnabled interface. If a component implements this, it
gets the Cocoon logger (this is just an example!)

If we need this functionality for blocks in Cocoon 2.3 (or whatever
version), we could start adding the interfaces (when they are solid)
to Cocoon 2.2.x and people can start migrating their components
slowly. So, when the real blocks are out, its much easier to
migrate the code (if required) as this has already happened (for parts).

There shouldn't be any compatibility problems. The only thing I'm not
so sure about is XSP where ComponentHandlers are used. But I'm sure
we will find a solution for that as well.

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://www.osoco.net/weblogs/rael/