cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Sitemap versionning in TreeProcessor?
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 06:44:44 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> I noticed you added support for sitemap language versionning
> in the TreeProcessor a few weeks ago. What's the purpose of this?

Actually, it's a feature we wanted to use for 2.1 already... A long time
ago, we agreed that if we change the sitemap syntax, we will change the
version number of the sitemap namespace.
Now, we definitly will add new features for 2.2 (e.g. the virtual
sitemap components), so we have to change the version number.
I'm planning to implement the virtual sitemap components in the next
weeks, so we need it then :)

> And if this is really needed, considering that it's not
> likely to happen often,
It *might* happen with every minor or major version change.

> it seems to me simpler to have
> different configurations files (i.e.
> "sitemap-language-10.xml", "sitemap-language-11.xml") rather
> than merging an additional configuration with the default one.

Ok, my idea was the following: we have the basic sitemap language (v1.0),
a new version 1.1, 1.2. etc. will only differ in some parts: perhaps
a new element or a removed one etc. But not to many. So I thought
it's much easier to describe the 1.1 language as a diff to 1.0. So
you take 1.0 as the base and simply add/exchange the nodes that
differ.
Actually, my first approach was to use different files, but in this
case the files have to be more tightly bound to the tree processor.
Currently, the user can configure which configuration file to use (which
is imho a unneeded feature).
If you want, we can go the way of different configuration files, but then
please without any user configuration to overwrite the files.
I don't care how we do it as long as we do it!

Carsten