cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:22:51 GMT
Il giorno 30/lug/04, alle 00:24, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

> Don't take all this badly Ugo: I see much more dangers in turning the
> sitemap into a scripting language than the advantages brought by
> saving a few keystokes or the ease of implementation. But I'm all for
> a simplified implementation of the current syntax. Something that once
> came to my mind as a possible way to implement the sitemap engine (and
> also JXTG) is Jelly, provided by the same James Strachan that made
> Groovy after he came to dislike pointy brackets.

I'm not taking this badly at all, Sylvain :-) I am perfectly aware of
the risks involved in such an attempt. Indeed I  wrote (and you
quoted): "I have to admit I'm ashamed at how bad and simpleminded the
implementation of this is (you can find it in Butterfly's CVS). And
propbably using a full-fledged scripting language isn't such a good
idea (I already see people putting database access code in the
sitemap)".

One of the reasons I came up with this "design" is that I'm trying to
adopt a "tracer bullet" type of approach (if you haven't read Hunt and
Thomas' "The Pragmatic Programmer" I suggest that you grab a copy and
read it, it's highly recommended, or else you can find a description
here [1]). So I needed something that could enable me to reach very
rapidly the target of having an actual program that would be able to
take an HTTP request, feed it to a sitemap that is (semantically if not
syntactically) equivalent to a subset of the Cocoon sitemap and send
out an appropriate response.

I'm cutting short on this since I'm writing from the hall of my hotel
(thanks to WiFi) and I should actually be already at my customers', but
I think I got great feedback from you and from all the other people who
participated in this thread. Starting tomorrow, I'll be on vacation for
one week, but fully connected, so I hope to find the time and the
clarity of mind to come up with something less dumb and simpleminded.
Stay tuned!

	Ugo

[1] http://www.artima.com/intv/tracer.html
--