cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:19:54 GMT
Il giorno 28/lug/04, alle 08:12, Antonio Gallardo ha scritto:

> I agree. The idea I buyed from XML was that we don't need to add new
> parsers, easily transformations using XSLT, etc. and that is a point we
> will lose.

We have 74 classes to maintain in the o.a.c.components.treeprocessor
package. It's true that you don't have to write the code to turn
<map:*> into org.w3c.dom.Element but other than that ...

> You know that I like Groovy. and I thought about that long time ago,
> but I
> was no brave enough to propose a Groovy syntax because the problems
> parsing the Groovy code for later purposes. Note, I am not droping the
> idea. I think we need to see closer to the pros and cons about a Groovy
> sitemap syntax.

Yes. That's why I presented a half-baked idea instead of a working
implementation. To have a platform upon which to base further
discussions.

> I still have the idea that we need an IDE for Cocoon and using non-XML
> syntax will be harder to parse. Just think what if we need to build an
> non-XML reader to interpret the sitemap. With an XML syntax it is a
> very
> easy task. Perhaps Sylvain call tell us more about this since they are
> developing a tool for Cocoon.

There are plugins coming out for Grrovy on various IDEs (I know Eclipse
has one) and syntax-highlighting modules for various editors. I am
pretty sure someone will write a module to enable step-by-step
debugging of Groovy scripts in your favourite IDE (maybe it's already
there). Then you'll have step-by-step sitemap debugging FOR FREE in
your IDE!

The point is not what we'll be able to do with such an arrangement. I'm
pretty sure will be able to do more than what we do today and have
others provide the necessary tools (remember I'm lazy). The point is
whether using a full-fledged scripting language will give users far too
many options and rope to hang themselves with, and how to avoid it.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/