cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:41:52 GMT
On 29 Jul 2004, at 09:19, Marc Portier wrote:

> Rest assured I'm equally concerned with a number of other voices here
> about (using Ugo's wording) 'giving just more rope to hang yourself
> in'
> However, when I see people 'removing and merging' then I can only see
> less rope :-)
>
> IMHO we need to be honest/modest about how far any cocoon-user
> actually wants to be 'guided' and 'helped'.

Collating both points into one concern: with the current Cocoon, we
already provide quite some rope, in the sense that I've seen a
separation between what developers *intend* to be used, and what users
*want* to use of Cocoon's broad set of features.

Contrarily to httpd.conf/mod_rewrite-land, where there's "just the HTTP
spec" to implement, we are at liberty to put any kind of behaviour in
any component or block of Cocoon. That leads us to the situation where
a developer can create a block of functionality just to get a feel of
whether it makes any sense, but suddenly users pick it up and start
exploiting the thing as if it is production-ready code, expecting or
hoping for some form of support, even when they exploit it beyond what
it has been intended for.

I believe the Cocoon users expect guidance and help beyond what they
get now, and we shouldn't provide more scriptable rope to hang
themselves with. This of course depends on what we believe Joe Average
Cocoon user is - and if we expect Joe to subscribe to the developers
list to understand what our intentions were. :-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org