cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <>
Subject RE: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:51:36 GMT
Stefano wrote:

> Conal Tuohy wrote:
> > It's [XML sitemap syntax] also potentially useful for validation.
> Nop, wrong. There is no XMl validation language that can tell
> you if the
> sitemap is "valid" from a cocoon-logic point of view (for
> example there
> is no "class file name" datatype, or no way for the XML validator to
> know that that class is inside the classloader).
> You can validate the "xml structure" but the semantics of
> that will have
> to be validated by special code anyway.

There will always be some semantics that are out of reach of validation.
I believe the Cocoon sitemap language is already Turing-complete so it
actually would be theoretically impossible to validate it from a
cocoon-logic point of view (even just considering the pipelines and
leaving aside the component declarations etc).

But some level of validation might still be useful (check that pipelines
have generators and serializers, etc). But I'm speaking hypothetically
because I have never done it. :-)

> > The fact that XML is a common syntax means that there will
> always be new
> > things you can with it.
> FS. This was the argument in the past and it never happened.
> > Personally, I like it as XML. :-)
> Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like it... but many
> times it
> felt just too verbose for the task... so it would be kinda
> cool to have
> the ability to have two syntaxes.

I agree. Or even several syntaxes. I have used the graphic editor Dia to
generate XML code and I'm sure it could be used as a graphical pipeline
editor for Cocoon. I remember seeing some graphical notation that I
think you invented, Stephano. Did you have a system for using it as
actual source code?

View raw message