cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Butterfly Manifesto (was Re: [RT] Spring+JMX == Real Blocks?)
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:34:29 GMT
Il giorno 21/lug/04, alle 13:37, Leo Sutic ha scritto:

> 1. "Butterfly is an experiment aiming to implement a (simplified)
> Cocoon clone but based on Spring instead of Hibernate" Don't you mean:
> "based on Spring instead of Avalon"

Of course. Typo corrected.

> 2. "Strive for 100% unit test coverage" A bit of a red herring. You
> don't want code coverage as much as state coverage. For example:
>
>     /** Divides two numbers. If b == 0, returns 0. */
>     public static void divide (int a, int b) { return a/b; }
>
> Test:
>
>     public void testDivide () { assert divide (4, 2) == 2 };
>
> Which doesn't test the case where b == 0.

Agreed, but even if we cannot prove that code is correct with unit
tests alone, we can at least hope that - statistically - code that has
100% test coverage will have less bugs than code that has 10% test
coverage. Unfortunately, my impression is that Cocoon is now at the
lower end of the spectrum.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/