cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:13:14 GMT
On 29 Jul 2004, at 20:40, Tony Collen wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
> &snip;
>
>> IMHO, simplicity has to do with predictability. XML grammars have
>> this, scripting languages don't. While the use of a non-XML
>> (scripting?) grammar for the site/flowmap might be clever, it might
>> reduce the predictability. Too much magic for my poor brains. And
>> even XML happens to be abused at times.
>
> Scripting languages (and programming languages in general) are easy to
> create, all you need to do is define the grammar and tokens, and feed
> it all to something like JFlex/BYacc to create a parser.  Perhaps it's
> easier said than done.  Granted, I've done nothing with parser
> generators, but in the end I think it's the same.

Agree, but I'm not convinced that we are just aiming for a simpler
syntax. I feel we're moving away from declarative, and I'm convinced
that this might reduce the predictability of Cocoon's behaviour and
usage model.

I've been jotting down sitemaps in shorthand notation myself ...

match *.html
   generate {1}.xml
   transform 2html.xsl
   serialize html

... a bit like the humiliated XML used in httpd.conf, but IIUC, what is
being suggested ATM is the introduction of the usual programming
language constructs in Cocoon's request handling configuration
syntax.... isn't its quest for Turing-completeness one of the reasons
why XSLT has been shunned by real developers: being too much and too
little of a programming language at the same time? With a programming
language-like sitemap language, we might end with the same result.

I read mod_rewrite as an example, and I remember without looking up
that the documentation of that module is the only one with a special
foreword explaining/warning how wildly exotic it is.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org