cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:40:40 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

&snip;

> IMHO, simplicity has to do with predictability. XML grammars have this,
> scripting languages don't. While the use of a non-XML (scripting?)
> grammar for the site/flowmap might be clever, it might reduce the
> predictability. Too much magic for my poor brains. And even XML happens
> to be abused at times.

Scripting languages (and programming languages in general) are easy to
create, all you need to do is define the grammar and tokens, and feed
it all to something like JFlex/BYacc to create a parser.  Perhaps it's
easier said than done.  Granted, I've done nothing with parser
generators, but in the end I think it's the same.

Although you need to be careful about creating an ambiguous grammar,
and I'm not sure how many parser/compiler people we have lurking on
the lists.

Torsten mentioned his ideas about the sitemap as an abstract syntax
tree, and I think there's quite a bit of merit there. I'm also on the
context-free language kick since we're looking at them in my Automata
and Theory of Computation class.

I'm going to gather my thoughts about the sitemap and CFL's and see
what I come up with.

Tony