cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:50:14 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:

> Stefano wrote:
>

>>Conal Tuohy wrote:
>>

>>>It's [XML sitemap syntax] also potentially useful for validation.
>>
>>Nop, wrong. There is no XMl validation language that can tell
>>you if the
>>sitemap is "valid" from a cocoon-logic point of view (for
>>example there
>>is no "class file name" datatype, or no way for the XML validator to
>>know that that class is inside the classloader).
>>
>>You can validate the "xml structure" but the semantics of
>>that will have
>>to be validated by special code anyway.
>

> There will always be some semantics that are out of reach of validation.
> I believe the Cocoon sitemap language is already Turing-complete so it
> actually would be theoretically impossible to validate it from a
> cocoon-logic point of view (even just considering the pipelines and
> leaving aside the component declarations etc).

without java and flow, the sitemap is far from being turing complete.

> But some level of validation might still be useful (check that pipelines
> have generators and serializers, etc). But I'm speaking hypothetically
> because I have never done it. :-)

I disagree. XML-schema like validation for the sitemap is just
misleading because it gives you a false sense of solidity that you just
can't understand from that point of view.

>>>The fact that XML is a common syntax means that there will
>>
>>always be new
>>
>>>things you can with it.
>>
>>FS. This was the argument in the past and it never happened.
>>

>>>Personally, I like it as XML. :-)
>>
>>Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like it... but many
>>times it
>>felt just too verbose for the task... so it would be kinda
>>cool to have
>>the ability to have two syntaxes.
>

> I agree. Or even several syntaxes.

I have used the graphic editor Dia to
> generate XML code and I'm sure it could be used as a graphical pipeline
> editor for Cocoon. I remember seeing some graphical notation that I
> think you invented, Stephano.

Stefano, please.

> Did you have a system for using it as
> actual source code?