cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:20:39 GMT
Guido Casper wrote:

> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> Guido Casper wrote:
>

>>> One thing to keep in mind  is that the sitemap is a declarative thing
>>> (and the pointy brackets always remind us of that). While skripting the
>>

>> I think this is not true. For those who do not use flowscript sitemap
>> became a "programming language" a long time ago. Insert a lot of
>> database actions, authorization actions, mail actions and you will get
>> more flow than declaration.
>

> But that was the reason for flowscript's introduction (originally termed
> flowmap :) ... to keep the sitemap clean of flow logic.

This is what concerns me: a "scriptable" sitemap syntax will make it
*easier* for people to turn a declarative model into a procedural one.

Now, it has always been a given that separation between pipelines as
declarations and flow as procedures was a "good thing"(tm).

Is it true?

We know that a sitemap with tons of actions is just a pain in the ass to
deal with, then we created flow to make it easier to separate the two.

If the sitemap syntax was more "scriptable" and having many actions was
just like calling functions, would it be that bad?

if we had a unified sitemap+flowscript -> sitescript that used
components *and* continuations as "native objects" of the language,
would the need for separation be that high and the notion of merging the
two so sinful?

I don't know.

But I would *love* to have such a "sitescript" and play with it so see
how it feels... because, if you think about it, there is no way to reuse
a sitemap without touching flowscript, they are interconnected... are we
experiencing "overseparation of concerns" forced by the non-scriptable
syntax of the sitemap?

I really don't know, but I'm not so sure the usefulness of that
separation and I'd be very happy to have this butterfly to see if things
fly a little better ;-)

--
Stefano.