cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:00:17 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:

> Stefano wrote:
>
>>The XML syntax makes sense only when you want to process the sitemap
>>iteself via pipeline (for example, to generate an SVG poster
>>of it via XSLT)
>>
>>And makes sense if you want to prevent people from adding scripting
>>inside the pipelines (well, actions are kinda like scripting
>>aren't they)
>

> It's also potentially useful for validation.

Nop, wrong. There is no XMl validation language that can tell you if the
sitemap is "valid" from a cocoon-logic point of view (for example there
is no "class file name" datatype, or no way for the XML validator to
know that that class is inside the classloader).

You can validate the "xml structure" but the semantics of that will have
to be validated by special code anyway.

> Another thing I like about XML sitemaps is that you can load them in a
> browser and use + and - buttons to reveal only the sections you want.

True.

> The fact that XML is a common syntax means that there will always be new
> things you can with it.

FS. This was the argument in the past and it never happened.

> Personally, I like it as XML. :-)

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like it... but many times it
felt just too verbose for the task... so it would be kinda cool to have
the ability to have two syntaxes.

--
Stefano.