cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:46:03 GMT
Guido Casper wrote:
> First let me say that I'm really excited by your work. Thanks for that!
> Ugo Cei wrote:
>> Il giorno 28/lug/04, alle 04:02, Vadim Gritsenko ha scritto:
>>> Why stop half way and live with one more interpreter's penalty?
>>> Convert straight to Java - works faster and less memory consumption!
>>> And we are back on square one ;-P
>> Some reasons come to mind: Groovy gives you a much more concise syntax
>> than Java. Groovy has closures, which might be useful (maybe we could
>> implement a VPC as a closure? I don't know, it's just an idea that
>> crossed my mind now). Reloading a Groovy class might be easier than
>> reloading a Java class (or it might not).
>> The idea might be that you could:
>> 1) Use your existing sitemaps for backward compatibility or just
>> because you like pointy brackets and have them transformed into Groovy
>> scripts.
>> 2) Write Groovy sitemaps and have more features at your disposal (also
>> more freedom and consequential risks).
> :-)
> One thing to keep in mind  is that the sitemap is a declarative thing
> (and the pointy brackets always remind us of that). While skripting the
I think this is not true. For those who do not use flowscript sitemap
became a "programming language" a long time ago. Insert a lot of
database actions, authorization actions, mail actions and you will get
more flow than declaration.

> sitemap for sure is a powerful tool to the experienced developer, it
> further breaks the pyramid of contracts and makes learning Cocoon even
> harder.

I like this syntax a lot. Right now for me the sitemap is much too
verbose. I showed it to a guy that starts playing cocoon and he said
it's easier for him to understand.

The sitemap.xmap is simple for those who come from XSLT world.
For others sitemap.groovy whould be simpler I think

Leszek Gawron
+48 (61) 855 06 67