cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: [RT] A Groovy Kind of Sitemap
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:32:08 GMT
First let me say that I'm really excited by your work. Thanks for that!

Ugo Cei wrote:
> Il giorno 28/lug/04, alle 04:02, Vadim Gritsenko ha scritto:
>
>> Why stop half way and live with one more interpreter's penalty?
>> Convert straight to Java - works faster and less memory consumption!
>> And we are back on square one ;-P
>

> Some reasons come to mind: Groovy gives you a much more concise syntax
> than Java. Groovy has closures, which might be useful (maybe we could
> implement a VPC as a closure? I don't know, it's just an idea that
> crossed my mind now). Reloading a Groovy class might be easier than
> reloading a Java class (or it might not).
>
> The idea might be that you could:
>
> 1) Use your existing sitemaps for backward compatibility or just because
> you like pointy brackets and have them transformed into Groovy scripts.
> 2) Write Groovy sitemaps and have more features at your disposal (also
> more freedom and consequential risks).

:-)
One thing to keep in mind  is that the sitemap is a declarative thing
(and the pointy brackets always remind us of that). While skripting the
sitemap for sure is a powerful tool to the experienced developer, it
further breaks the pyramid of contracts and makes learning Cocoon even
harder.

I feel like Groovy is not the appropriate tool for the job. This is IMHO
of course and I'm not sure wether nitpicking on principles or doing a
compromise between approaches is the best way forward.

Guido