cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:23:13 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>So let's recap what's allowed where:
>>- in virtual generators, transfomers, serializers
>>(SAX-oriented VPCs):
>>match, select, act but no redirect. redirect-to and call are
>>forbidden.
>
> Yepp.
>

>>- in virtual readers: everything is allowed.
>>
>>Is that ok?
>>

> What is the use-case for a virtual reader?

virtual-readers is just nomenclature ATM

today's resources can behave like any of 4 things

1. a generator + transformers --> virtual transformer
2. a set of transformers --> virtual transformer
3. a set of transformers terminated with a serializer --> virtual serializer

4. a full pipe from generator to serializer --> virtual reader?

> Isn't a <map:read src="cocoon://the-pipeline"/> enough?

there is a bit of nuance here in how you pass parameters, no?

> And if that's not good, you can simply call a resource.

sure, I only got the feeling (expressed before) that the VPC move sounds
like more strongly specifying which kind of resource you have...

not to be mixing with the nowadays 'it could be anything' resource the
term 'virtual reader' would be to the reader what the virtual generator
is to the generator: a declaratively composed pipeline-compont with a
predictable nature of being? (ie what is lacking in resources)

as such I catched at a certain moment during the discussion that we
would deprecate resources as a whole but keep on supporting and start
promoting the switch to the more solid virtual-xxx thingies...

HTH

regards,
-marc=