cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:02:21 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

<snip/>

> I have the same understanding after reading the whole thread. Though
> I'm not sure if we have consensus on actions. Anyway, what will be the
> order of execution of actions? IIUC all actions within a pipeline are
> execute *before* the pipeline is executed, aren't they? Will this
> behaviour remain?
> Another question: Is this order of execution of actions by design and
> if yes, what's the reason?

Hey Reinhard, back to basics! Actions are in the "control structure"
category, alongside match and select. So they must be executed first,
just as matchers and selectors, as their result is used to decide which
components are included in the pipeline.

The problems of actions is that they are more than control structures as
they are allowed to modify the system state, or perform a redirect,
which is not what the pipeline instructions (<map:generate>
<map:transform> etc) are doing today. That's why actions may be
forbidden in VPCs, except maybe for virtual readers.

Sylvain